Monday, January 4, 2010

Tidbits

Just a few little things that have been on my mind:
  • One thing I don't really get in the Schoolhouse Rock! song, "Little Twelve Toes": part of the song purports that if man had six fingers, we'd be counting using a base-12 system, not base-10. However, what I don't get is that the song's narrator says that we'd end up with three new numbers, dec, el, and doe, with doe being the new ten. But why wouldn't ten stay ten? Even if it's really twelve (dec, el, ten)? I mean, why come up with new terms when you don't have to?
  • Going back to the Strawberry Shortcake episode, "A Princess Called Rap," I find it interesting that Rap's song of existential quandary mostly lists her physical abilities as the unprincesslike behavior, but what convinced her professor to lighten up was Rap displaying the knowledge she possessed (although I guess the physical side enters, too, considering she had to steer the raft).
  • Whenever I listen to "The Wizard and I" from Wicked, I always want the line "This weird quirk I've tried to suppress or hide" to end with "is a talent that could work..." instead of "is a talent that could help me meet the wizard." I think it's the emphasis that Idina puts on "quirk."

No comments: