Saturday, January 5, 2008

You're Strong, Tough, and Terrifc?

(Ugh, ugly screenshot! Why must copyright issues keep a DVD coming out?)

As I mentioned earlier, I recently got reinterested in the movie Raggedy Ann and Andy: A Musical Adventure. A little searching and I found the entire movie online, which lead me to watch certain scenes a number of times. What really stuck in my mind was Andy's introduction scene, about nine minutes into the film. Throughout the film, Andy is the character who, to counteract the generally upbeat other characters, gets to be, for lack of a better word, snarky. This actually isn't as evident later on in the movie, when it gets down to just him, Ann, and the Camel, as it is in his first few scenes, so I started thinking about it. And I came to the conclusion that when we first see him, he's not his usual self. He's in a pretty bad mood, which is understandable, considering he just spent the majority of the day stuck under a box, with no one noticing his disappearance. Even Ann didn't notice that he wasn't part of her big opening song until she saw his feet under the box. And once he is out, no one says "How terrible!" or "Are you all right?" In fact, when he kicks the box that was his captor, Ann defends it rather than him, causing him to snap at her, which is the only instance of him being mean to Ann in the entire film. This is significant stuff.

(For some reason now I'm picturing a running joke of Andy vs. the Box, ala Sasuke vs. the Log from Naruto Abridged)
(Also, I was under the impression that the box was from Marcella's aunt, who lived in France, but this isn't actually mentioned in the movie.)

While the other dolls try to find out what's inside, Andy continues to gripe, including a line I particularly like: "I'll tell ya something; I'm getting pretty sick and tired of all the dumb things that go on around here," before going into a kinetic frenzy while singing a slightly dodgy song about how he's No Girl's Toy. From Ann's amused expression, I get that feeling that he's gone on this kind of rant before. And why, exactly, does Andy get more offended at being called "maybe lazy" than "just crazy," I wonder? ^_~
An interesting thing about this song sequence is that it was mostly animated by Richard Williams, who directed the entire movie, and was the animation director for Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and the director and lead animator for The Thief and the Cobbler, released as Arabian Knight. If you want to see the song, you can check it out below:

No comments: