Thursday, April 15, 2010

Writing Meme - Day Fifteen

I honestly cannot think of anyone I want to write about. I don't tend to go finding out much about authors, and I really very rarely wind up reading more than one book by any given author. So instead, I'll write a little bit about John Green, since I got to see him this past Saturday. I've actually only read one of his books (one and half, sort of, but I'll get to that), An Abundance of Katherines, which was one of the 35 or so books that I had to read for a class on Young Adult materials.  I thought the book was pretty good, but I didn't go seeking out any more of his stuff, mostly because at the time I had plenty of other books to read (to clarify, there weren't any assigned books, but we had to read three books each in specific categories, like romance, historical fiction, etc.)
Skip ahead a little bit, and somewhere after that, my younger sister discovered John Green through his video blog and became a big fan of his, so much so that she got his new book (Paper Towns) when it came out, and then when she found out that he was coming near us for a book signing for his latest, co-written, book (Will Grayson, Will Grayson), she had to go.  And she wanted me to come along with her.  And since I'd liked the one book of his I'd read, I agreed.  My husband also came along, though he hadn't even heard of John Green and was just there for me.  The signing was fun, since he and the his co-author, David Levithan, answered questions and did readings from the book, and they're just fun guys in general (or so I take it from this one appearance).  Strangely enough, it turned out that I had also read one of David Levithan's books during that same YA class, Boy Meets Boy.  So I thought it was kind of neat that here I was, pretty much by chance, getting a book signed by two authors whose books I had read so close to each other back in 2007.  Life can be pretty weird sometimes.

No comments: