Thursday, February 28, 2008

American Idol, Hotblooded, and Zombies

Call me weird, but the song "Hotblooded" always makes me think of zombies. There's a story to that, and hearing the song twice on American Idol this week brought it to the top of mind:
The past few summers I've worked at a local amusement park (Lake Compounce, the oldest continually run park in the country), but I only stayed through the fall season once (usually I was back at school by then). The reason the parks stays open through the end of October is because it gets a Halloween-themed makeover and has a special maze/event set up called The Haunted Graveyard. Anyway, along with the Graveyard and makeover, the season I was there, three times a night there was a special show. I usually wasn't close enough to see it, but the music was so loud you could hear it from halfway across the park. Since I heard the songs so much, I came up with my own story for the show (although it turns out that there really wasn't one for the real show; it was just an excuse for the performers to sing and dance). In my story, a boy and girl went to a haunted castle on Halloween and accidentally read a spell that called forth a host of zombies! (the first song was Evanescence's "Bring Me To Life.") Fortunately for the kids, the zombies were Party Zombies, more interested in a good time than human flesh (revealed in the song "Rock and Roll All Night (and party everyday)"). But it turns out the real reason the kids weren't eaten immediately was that the zombie thought the kids were zombies, too. And the boy, being an idiot, tells them that he's a "Hotblooded" human, not a zombie. I don't remember how it ended, but I think the kids got out okay. I just don't remember what song they used to do it.
So yeah, that's why I always think of zombies when I hear that song.

No comments: