Monday, September 24, 2007

Adventures in Care-a-lot, episode one


So, the Care Bears have been reinvented yet again, and I kinda like it. I don't think the look translates in the plushes too well, but when it's drawn, I love it! So cute ^_^ So when I heard that there was going to be a traditionally animated show (or not CG, anyway), I had to check it out! I didn't really have high hopes for it, figuring it would look good, and little else. And while the plots are a little basic, the overall episodes (of which there have only been two, but still) have been entertaining. The series takes place after the recent film Oopsy Does It, so if you haven't seen it (and you probably haven't, it only had a very limited release, and doesn't come out on DVD until mid-October), a few things might not make sense. All you really need to know is that the main villian for the series is Grizzle, a bear with a penchant for robotic suits and a dislike for all things sweet and light.

The first episode has two stories, A Little Help and The Tell-Tale Tummy. In the first, Grumpy builds a power generator to provide rainbow lights for the Rainbow Lights Celebration, which Grizzle decides to steal to keep his evil lair from floating away. In his attempts, he gets covered first with punch, and then with stardust, making everyone think he's Surprise Bear's surprise for the parade (but it was really a pinata). Meanwhile, Grumpy's making a stew, but needs bumbleberries. Share offers to give him the berries from her garden, but for some reason he rejects it. Eventually, both Grizzle and Grumpy realize they need to both ask and accept help from others (well, not Grizzle so much), and the Rainbow Lights Celebration goes off without a hitch, except that since Grumpy gave Grizzle the power generator, there aren't any actual rainbow lights. So Cheer steps in and uses her belly badge (which is what their symbols are called now) to light up the night.

The second involves Share using Grumpy's not-quite-finished Cloud Express (a delivery transport) without his permission (isn't asking first the cardinal rule of sharing?), and it ends up breaking. The others assemble to solve the mystery of who did it (complete with detective hats) while Share gets butterflies in her stomach (which makes a lot of noise) due to her guilt. She doesn't fess up until the others decide Grizzle is the culprit and go to "give him a good talking-to." But Grumpy forgives her and they build a new Cloud Express, which Share uses (with permission) to send an apology to Grizzle, who apparently spent the whole time building a house of cards. Personally, I think that this episode would have been more interesting if they'd actually gotten to Grizzle's and confronted him before Share confessed. But I did kind of like Share sending the note and Grizzle being all "What the?"

I want to say, the voice acting really makes this show. There are a lot of veteran VAs involved, including Ian James Corlett and Tabitha St. Germain, and it really shows. I don't know who exactly does who, but I have a few hunches. I will say, though, that it's a little disconcerting to hear Funshine with such a masculine voice. And I love Grizzle's voice ^_^ He gives the character a dramatic flair that really brings him to life. I'm still on the fence about how I feel about Grumpy's voice, though.

The little stuff I liked:
A Little Help
"UR-2!" "I am not."
Everyone being excited about Grumpy's stew. Who knew he cook, let alone well enough that everyone simultaneously bursts out with Mmmms at the very thought of it?
Grumpy having a Grandma Grumpy
Love-a-lot, Tenderheart, Wish, and Good Luck chanting "Sparkle bear!"
Grizzle's "My home" monologue. I just love the delivery!
Grizzle being all "It's mine! Mwahaha!" after Grumpy gives him the generator
UR-2: What he meant to say was "Thank you." Grizzle: *in the distance* No, I didn't!!
The jukebox and UR-2 dancing. UR-2 just rocks in general. I hope he shows up more.
Questions:
What did Grumpy make the generator out of, anyway?
What's that stuff called? Noodley Stoodilly Doodilly Stew? Doesn't quite sound appetizing...

The Tell-Tale Tummy
Grumpy seeing the Cloud Express going by and commenting that he has one just like it
Cheer, Funshine, Amigo, and Share using the Care Bear Stare on Grumpy
"Grizzle's a bear!" It's just the way she says it.
Grizzle gloating about building a house of cards
Questions:
How come Grumpy got so emo over the Cloud Express breaking, when he was all "I can just build another one" when he gave Grizzle the power generator in the previous story?
Why does Grumpy want Share to help him build a new Cloud Express? No doubt she was merely on "bring me a tool" duty.

Images!
Cameos: Best Friend Bear and Tenderheart
Cameos: Good Luck, Love-a-lot, Harmony, and a mystery bear. Harmony's a hippie!
Cameos: Love-a-lot, Good Luck, Tenderheart, and Wish Bear
Cameos: Wish Bear again. I like her new design.
Grumpy the cook
Grumpy's reaction to Grizzle's power trip
Grumpy waxes philosophical over his stew (actually, he's just wishing they could have the rainbow lights)
The power generator turned into a disco light show!
Is that a library?
Grumpy booty!
Grumpy does not appreciate the other's trying justify the Cloud Express breaking
Grumpy's a little emo
An important clue!
Surprise is less than impressed with the obvious solution
Grizzle's going down!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

(I'm grumpyXShare)

I
d like t answer your qestions. By now you shoudl know the answer tough... Well grumpy wanted her to help because he likes her. Duh! And he was pset about that because he didn't know what happened.

:)

Unknown said...

I agree with the comment left by GrumpyXShare; ‘Grumpy’ asked for ‘Share’ to assist him because he LIKES her. Plus I’m sure she did MORE to help out with the project other then just bring over the tools for him. :)

Unknown said...

In the episode called ‘A Little Help’ I like the part where “Grumpy” finally ask “Share” for her help and she gladly tells him yes; and then the two of them walk off hand in hand, or should I say paw in paw. Also I bet that after they picked berries together they made the stew together as well. : )

Those two are a CUTE COUPLE!!

P.S. "UR-2!" "I am not!"

UR-2: What he meant to say was "Thank you." Grizzle: *in the distance* No, I didn't!!

Yeah; FUNNY : )

Bimbo's 90th Anniversary said...

I disagree: GrumpyXCheer is one of my 2TP (Two True Pairings)