Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tony Awards 2011

If you've been following my blog for a while, you may have noticed that I usually watch the Tony Awards and blog as I watch.  And you may have noticed that it's exactly two weeks past when the Tonys originally aired and I haven't blogged about the show at all.  It's not that I didn't intend to, and it's certainly not that I didn't watch.  But as with the Oscars earlier this year, I didn't really feel like doing the entire show the way I have in the past.  I did, however, take notes on what I wanted to comment on, with every intention of sitting down sometime the next day and writing out a proper post.  And then I promptly lost the paper I wrote my notes on.
By the time I found it again, I was way too busy to try and make a post, as this year's VBS skit (which I'll post the tropes for once it's all over) has proven to be much more involved than last year's (and we thought last year was crazy!), and basically ate up all my free time (not that I have that much to begin with these days).  But now, the worst part is over (or rather, I've acquiesced to my limitations), and I finally have a little time to post.
First off, I wasn't too surprised by any of the awards, especially not The Book of Mormon taking as many as it did.  Now, for the actual show itself:

  • When the opening song began, I was like "Really?" but by the end of it I was won over.  
  • My husband, who had been snoozing on the couch, instantly woke up when Stephen Colbert got involved.
  • Yay, Robert Morse!
  • Upon hearing that two stars of How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying would be presenting, my husband thought Steve Martin would be one of them.  It turns out he was really thinking of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.
  • Was it just me, or was the camerawork during How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying's number really weird?  Or was it just because I don't have HD?
  • I liked all of the parts of the Hugh Jackman/Neil Patrick Harris number except the "Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better" bits.  I hate that song so much...
  • The Spiderman song was so boring, but apparently that's one of the better ones.
  • The Sister Act number actually made me choke up at the end.

No comments: